Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Juggernaut of Narcissism

       Rebellion is a high speed train without any brakes. Its grinding wheels recognize nothing in its wake, its velocity has no compassion on the injured and its intent no moral capacity to comprehend. There is no realization that in the long run there will be a curve that cannot be managed, not at that speed. And it will bring all into destruction, all who helplessly follow the engine.
       Saul's trajectory to destruction is recorded in I Samuel. In chapter 15 the snowball of disobedience begins. It multiplies into greed for the "good life" (I Sam 15: 9), callousness (I Sam 15: 13), religiosity (I Sam 15: 15) and personal monuments (I Sam 15: 12). A monumental error nevertheless. It gathers uncontrollable momentum with his madness (I Sam 16: 14), jealousy (I Sam 18: 8-9), murderous rage (I Sam 19) and paranoia (I Sam 20: 30-33). Finally this juggernaut of rebellion comes to devastating halt with a debilitating depression (I Sam 28: 20), failure and death (I Sam 31).
       Saul didn't realize that in the end there would be a curve that he would not be able to negotiate. So at what speed are you traveling?
Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubbornness as bad as worshiping idols
I Samuel 15: 23

No comments: